Secretary of State
image of the Kansas Secretary of State seal
Memorial Hall, 1st Floor
120 SW 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1594
(785) 296-4564


For Immediate Release
Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Contact Information
Stephanie Meyer, Public Information Officer
Office of the Secretary of State
(785) 296-8571


TOPEKA, KS – Today, Kansas Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh and Department of Revenue Secretary Joan Wagnon announced the official launch of an online voter registration application.

The new service, which had previously only been available in-person or by printing and completing an online paper form, allows citizens with a valid Kansas driver’s license to register to vote for the first time or make changes to an existing registration on the Secretary of State’s Web site,

“An online voter registration application is the next step in making the traditional elections process easier, faster, and cheaper. As technology continues to change and evolve, it is important that we implement strategies that will allow the citizens of Kansas to register in a way that is most convenient to them, without sacrificing the security and uniformity that sets our elections system apart,” said Thornburgh.

The project was a joint effort between the Secretary of State’s office, the Department of Revenue, the Division of Motor Vehicles, and software vendor Election Systems & Software.

“This partnership between the Secretary of State and the Department of Revenue makes it easier for Kansans to register to vote,” said Secretary Wagnon.

As with traditional paper registration, citizens who register online to vote for the first time in their county will still be required to show a form of identification at their polling place on Election Day (including driver's license or nondriver's ID card; bank statement; paycheck; government check; utility bill; and other government documents such as Medicare or Medicaid documents, military ID, student ID or a passport).

The online voter registration application is also available at the Secretary of State’s election Web site,, or through the Department of Revenue’s Web site,