House Bill No. 2080
An Act concerning virtual schools; relating to state assessments; authorizing students enrolled in virtual school to take virtual state assessments; amending K.S.A. 72-3711 and repealing the existing section.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Kansas:
New Section 1. (a) Any student enrolled in a virtual school on a full-time basis may take any statewide assessment required pursuant to K.S.A. 72-5170, and amendments thereto, in a virtual setting that best meets the educational needs of the student. Any administration of a virtual statewide assessment shall meet the following conditions:
(1) The assessment shall be administered to the student at an assigned date and time;
(2) the assessment shall be administered during a synchronous assessment session initiated and managed by an employee of the virtual school;
(3) the assessment administered in the virtual setting shall be the same assessment administered to students enrolled in a virtual school but taking the assessment in an in-person setting;
(4) the student shall be monitored by the assessment proctor via a camera for the duration of the assessment. If the assessment platform does not allow for integrated camera proctoring, the student shall use two devices during the assessment. The first device shall be used to take the assessment and the second device shall have a functioning camera and be used to monitor the student during the assessment;
(5) the device on which the student takes the assessment shall have browser lockdown software in operation for the duration of the assessment to prohibit internet browser usage by the student;
(6) the student to proctor ratio during the administration of an assessment shall be 10 to one or lower;
(7) the student shall not exit the assessment platform until instructed to do so by the proctor; and
(8) the completed assessment shall be verified by the assessment administrator.
(b) Any costs incurred by the state department of education in implementing the provisions of this section shall be paid for from the department's funds for administering all statewide assessments.
(c) This section shall be a part of and supplemental to the virtual school act.
Sec. 2. K.S.A. 72-3711 is hereby amended to read as follows: 72-3711. K.S.A. 72-3711 through 72-3715, and amendments thereto, and section 1, and amendments thereto, shall be known and may be cited as the virtual school act.
Sec. 3. K.S.A. 72-3711 is hereby repealed.
Sec. 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its publication in the statute book.
Approved April 7, 2023.