Volume 41 - Issue 35 - September 1, 2022
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project scope described below. Interested consultants must email a proposal to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (CDT) September 21, 2022, to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in category 163 – Congestion Management/ITS.
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification Category Definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
Anticipated Consultant Scope
Design approximately 90 miles of conduit, fiber, and regen building(s) along I-35 from Olathe, Kansas to Emporia, Kansas. Design should include branches to connect fiber to KDOT offices at Gardner, Kansas, Ottawa, Kansas, Waverly, Kansas, and Emporia, Kansas. Design should also include fiber route to Waverly Radio Tower.
Please provide a scope of services/proposal to perform the following tasks:
- Project management
- Pre-Design: including kick-off and biweekly coordination meetings, field review, utility coordination, and engineer’s estimate.
- Prepare 95% plans (final date to be determined after award): including base mapping, quality control review, incorporation of KDOT ITS specification, traffic control plans, and engineering estimates.
- Prepare final plans 1 month after 95% submittal: incorporate KDOT design comments, finalize plans sheets.
- Provide post-letting construction support services such as progress meetings, submittal reviews, and plan sheet revisions if necessary.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (CDT) September 21, 2022
- Anticipated Start Date: November 16, 2022
- Number of workdays: TBD
- Anticipated Calendar Completion Date: TBD
- Ranking of proposals is expected to occur on or around October 5, 2022
- Negotiations with the most highly ranked firm are expected to begin on or around October 19, 2022. An executed agreement is anticipated around November 16, 2022.
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed 4 pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.). All pages shall be standard letter size (8.5” x 11”). Any page larger than standard letter size will be count as two or more pages depending on size.
- A single PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal including all attachments must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-6180-02 – Design & Installation for ITS in Multiple Co. FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing.
- The outline in Table 1 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 2 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 1: Proposal Content|
|Section||Description of Intent|
|Cover Letter||(No more than 1 page)|
|Project Approach||Describe how your firm will meet the fluctuating inspection needs of the project.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s inspection processes and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 2: Evaluation Factors|
|The quality and completeness of the response||10%|
|Qualifications and experience of project manager and other key project team members proposed for services||25%|
|Proposed Project Approach||20%|
|Availability to respond to the work||20%|
|Past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT||25%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
All questions regarding this Request for Proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until September 8, 2022; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on September 15, 2022.
Marcia Turner, P.E., Contracts Manager
Division of Engineering and Design
Doc. No. 050461