Volume 42 - Issue 11 - March 16, 2023
State of Kansas
Department of Transportation
Notice to Consulting Firms
The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) is seeking a qualified consulting firm or team of firms to perform professional services for the project(s) described in Table 1 below. Interested consultants must email a proposal to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by 12:00 p.m. (Central Time) March 29, 2023, to be considered for selection.
Interested consulting firms must be prequalified by KDOT or otherwise demonstrate qualification in category(s):
- 163 Congestion Management/ITS
- 222 Standard Span Bridge Design
- 231 Traffic Control Analysis and Design
- 302 Engineering Surveying
- 311 Geotechnical Engineering Services
- 312 Materials Laboratory Testing Services
- 212 Highway Design – Minor Facility
If a firm is not currently prequalified by KDOT, a proposal may still be submitted. Firms not prequalified must also provide documentation that demonstrates the firm is qualified for each specified category listed in this notice for the project. Firms must use the KDOT prequalification form to provide this documentation. KDOT 1050 Prequalification Category Definitions (Blue Book) can be found at http://www.ksdot.org/descons.asp. Consultants may create a team to meet the prequalification requirements. All firms doing business with KDOT must be registered and in good standing under the laws of the State of Kansas at the time of contracting and must comply with applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
|Table 1: Background and Scope of Project|
|Project Number||Background and Scope of Project|
|KA-6712-01||Design new steel DMS structures with new foundations to replace 7 existing DMS structures in the KC Metro area. New walk-in color DMS will be installed on the new DMS structures. DMS structures will have a catwalk for access and KDOT DMS overhead truss standards will be used. These standards are under development and scheduled to be complete at the end of 2023. Complete traffic control plans will need to be developed for the removal of existing DMS structures, construction of new foundations and median barrier wall, and installation of new DMS structures.|
|Table 2: Project Summary|
|Project Number||County||Scope||Project Termini|
Multiple Locations in Johnson and Wyandotte Counties
|New Dynamic Message Sign (DMS) Structures||KC Scout Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Upgrades|
|Project Number||Existing DMS Structure Locations|
|I-35 NB Before 95th Street||046S0351||38.95132,
|US-69 NB Before 87th Street||046S0331||38.960508,
|US-69 SB 95th Street||046S0327||38.956878,
|I-635 NB After Douglas Avenue||105S0230||39.045138,
|I-635 NB After Georgia Avenue||105S0291||38.96232,
|I-635 SB Before Douglas Avenue||105S0229||39.0675,
|I-635 SB Before Georgia Avenue||105S0292||39.135845,
Anticipated Consultant Scope
KDOT anticipates the following to be included in the consultant’s scope:
- Survey Services
- Geotechnical Services
- Preliminary Design Services
- Final Design Services
- Letting and Construction Phase Services
Please provide a scope of services/proposal to perform the following tasks:
- Project management
- Pre-Design: Including kick-off and biweekly coordination meetings, field review, utility coordination, survey, geotechnical investigation, overhead truss structural design, and engineer’s estimate.
- Prepare 95% plans (final date to be determined after award): including base mapping, quality control review, incorporation of KDOT ITS specification, traffic control plans, design calculations, and engineering estimates.
- Prepare final plans one month after 95% submittal: Incorporate KDOT design comments, finalize plans sheets.
- Provide Post-Letting Construction Support services such as progress meetings, submittal reviews, structure shop drawing reviews, construction questions, and plan sheet revisions if necessary.
Anticipated Schedule and Key Dates
- Proposals are due by or before 12:00 p.m. (Central Time) March 29, 2023.
- Anticipated Start Date: June 7, 2023.
- Number of workdays: TBD
- Anticipated Calendar Completion Date: TBD
- Ranking of proposals is expected to occur on or around April 12, 2023.
- Negotiations with the most highly ranked firm are expected to begin on or around April 26, 2023. An executed agreement is anticipated around May 31, 2023.
Instructions for Proposal
- No cost or pricing information shall be submitted with the proposal. Proposals including cost or pricing information will be considered non-responsive and withdrawn from further consideration.
- The consultant’s proposal must not exceed 4 pages total (including any cover letter, index, etc.). All pages shall be standard letter size (8.5” x 11”). Any page larger than standard letter size will be counted as two or more pages depending on size.
- A single PDF (2MB maximum size) of the proposal including all attachments must be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov by the proposal due date and time.
- The subject line of the email and the PDF file name must read:
- “KA-6712-01 – KC Scout DMS Structure Replacements _FIRM NAME”
- The proposal must be accompanied by Special Attachments No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”) and No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”). If you need a Tax Clearance Certificate, you can request one at https://www.ksrevenue.gov/taxclearance.html. Allow 2-3 business days for processing. Both attachments are required for every firm involved in a multi-consultant team.
- The outline in Table 3 below describes the expected proposal organization and content sections.
- Table 4 lists the evaluation criteria and associated weights which will be used to make a selection.
|Table 3: Proposal Content|
|Section||Description of Intent||Page Limit|
|Cover Letter||1 Page|
|Project Approach||Demonstrate a unique approach to accomplish the design efficiently and to a high standard. Include cost-effective and optimized solutions to address the anticipated improvements in the design. Include unique qualifications or experience related to the project approach.|
|Approach to Schedule||Describe the approach to accomplish the scope of services within the schedule requirements. Include anticipated key milestone dates and availability of staff.|
|Approach to Quality Control||Describe methods or procedures your firm will use to provide all drawings, reports and other services with professional quality and technical accuracy.|
|Qualifications and Experience||For key personnel to be assigned to the project provide names, office location, qualifications, education, training, and expertise. Identify their area(s) of responsibility and percent of their time dedicated to the project. List work for which you do not have in-house capability and name the firm you propose to subcontract with.|
|Past Performance||Describe team’s past performance with respect to ability to meet project schedules; quality of work; and ability to control costs on similar transportation projects, especially those performed for KDOT. Include three references and contact information.|
|Familiarity with KDOT and Project Area||Describe team’s familiarity with KDOT’s design process and standards. Describe familiarity with the project area and any identified special site conditions.|
|Table 4: Evaluation Factors|
|The quality and completeness of the response||10%|
|Qualifications and experience of project manager and other key project team members proposed for services||25%|
|Proposed project approach||20%|
|Availability to respond to the work||20%|
|Past performance history for similar projects/services for KDOT||25%|
Contract Terms and Conditions
A standard KDOT agreement for engineering and technical services will be used for professional services projects. The following special attachments will need to be provided by the selected consultant and all subconsultants with the signed work order following negotiations and will become attachments to the contract.
- Special Attachment No. 8 (“Tax Clearance Certificate”)
- Special Attachment No. 10 (“Policy Regarding Sexual Harassment”)
Special Contract Conditions
Required to use KDOT DMS overhead truss standards that are currently in development and expected to be completed late 2023.
All questions regarding this Request for Proposals shall be emailed to KDOT.DesignContracts@ks.gov.
Questions can be submitted until March 16, 2023; answers will be provided to all prequalified consultants on March 23, 2023.
Marcia Turner, P.E.
Division of Engineering and Design
Department of Transportation
Doc. No. 050948